What Traits Should I Look For In A Submissive? by Castle Realm
Summary:

How can you tell if s/he is right for you?


Categories: The Lifestyle > Finding a Partner Characters: None
Content Notes: For Beginners, How-To
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1607 Read: 1701 Published: 03/21/2015 Updated: 03/22/2015
Chapter 1 by Castle Realm

"How do I find the submissive who is right for me?"
"How will I know if she is really what she claims to be?"
"How can I tell if he is truly a submissive or just trying to spice up his boring marriage with a little kink on the side?"

All very good questions that jade and I are often asked. It is an important concern, but one that's not easily answered. Many of us want to know how we can determine whether a submissive is suitable for us, but don't have a solid grasp on what attributes a successful submissive should possess.

Understand that this concept is highly subjective; every dominant has a different set of values. There are, however, some common characteristics that experienced, real-life dominants tend to agree upon. I certainly cannot list them all here, so I'll only present the more important ones.


What traits distinguish a great submissive from his/her run-of-the-mill sisters/brothers?

Submissives with low self esteem tend to demonstrate this in both words and action. They feel that they are worthless without a dominant, they cannot be submissive without someone to submit to. They are overly critical of themselves and others. They attach themselves much too quickly to others for emotional support.

Submissives should first be able to love themselves and be comfortable with who they are before they attempt to enter into D/s relationships, since the level of emotion and frequent trips deep into the psyche are potentially troublesome for the insecure submissive.

Watch out for the "you should have known...." phrases--they're a dead giveaway that the sub wasn't truthful about something. A dominant has to rely on the sub's ability to be truthful, even when s/he fears it might offend. When asked a question, the dom needs a completely truthful answer in order to make a decision.

If the sub isn't forthcoming or tries to bend the truth to meet what they think the dom wants to hear, the sub is very likely to end up in some very unhappy situations through their own fault.

This is typical behavior for "vanilla kinksters." That is, "submissives" who are only submissive in order to get sex. Their submission likely extends only to the point that you are giving them what they want. They will usually quickly end an encounter if it turns out you expect an effort from them in return.

Modest submissives are aware that their behavior reflects on themselves and their dominant and, unless specifically instructed to, save their sexuality for their One.

Movement should not be abrupt, stilted, or unnatural. A graceful submissive evokes a strong sense of pride from his/her dominant and is always aware of how his/her body moves. Clumsy and abrupt behavior is a source of embarrassment. Where this trait is lacking, a willingness to develop it is essential.

The opposite of what we often see should be the norm. Instead of not displaying proper respect until "they earn it," the submissive should demonstrate proper respect until the dominant "un-earns" it. That is, until they show that they are unworthy.

This one attitude is a key barometer of his/her understanding of the most fundamental concepts of domination/submission. If they don't comprehend respect, you're in for a very embarrassing time.

Let's talk about "brattiness" here. While there may be a time and place for brattiness from the submissive, it is usually only within the very narrow context of a specific scene (naughty school boy/head mistress, for example). Dominants tire very quickly of having their authority challenged.

It may seem cute at first and inexperienced dominants often mistake it for self-confidence. It's a deception. Brattiness as a basic trait in a sub is a sign that the sub has not accepted his/her own submission and is willfully refusing to be the very thing she claims to be: submissive. S/he is commiting self-sabotage.

If you wish to distinguish easily the "players" from those who are truly submissive, look for brattiness. The wannabes will be the brats, out for a weekend diversion or a night of role-playing. Brattiness is disrespectful, annoying, and will only attract other inexperienced, wannabe doms. Experienced doms will just shake their head in dismay at such atrocious behavior and move on.


This is quite a list, to be sure. I've described these traits because so very few submissives take the time to consider how their actions and attitudes are the fundamental reason for their inability to attract a "quality" dominant. They act like wannabes, so they attract wannabes. Likewise, novice dominants have few experienced submissives to observe and learn what graceful submission really is. They are easily led to believe that those who claim to be "the dom's gift to submission" are really nothing more than insecure and pretentious, usually with no idea what it is like in real life to be a submissive.

Now, rather than trying to find someone who fits all the ideas of perfection that you have, take a moment to consider:

You'll never find someone who meets all your desires, but you can come pretty close if you've taken the time to decide clearly what those things are. One final reminder: be patient, persevere, and do not compromise your standards for the sake of convenience.

 

...your perfect submissive will be:

  • Someone who respects herself.
  • Someone who doesn't want real abuse.
  • Someone who has s good sense of reality versus fantasy.
  • Someone who is not looking for you to take over her life, but to enhance it.
  • Someone you can trust not to blame you later for dominating her....
  • Someone wise enough to let you learn who she is, what pleases her, and what she wants. Good communication is a critical factor in any relationship, but in SM a lack of it can be devastating.
  • Someone who does not make demands. Pushiness on the part of a submissive or dominant is a turn-off....
  • Screw the Roses, Send Me the Thorns
    Miller & Devon (1995), pp. 41-42

Copyright© 1997 by Lord Colm
All Rights Reserved
May not be reproduced, in whole or in part, 
without the express written consent of the author

 

This story archived at http://www.thebdsmgarden.com/viewstory.php?sid=295