How to Start a Munch by High Lord Bubba
Summary:

When there isn't a local casual meet-up, here is how to make one.


Categories: How-To > A Trip to the Dungeon Characters: None
Content Notes: General, How-To
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 790 Read: 1617 Published: 05/02/2015 Updated: 08/05/2015

1. Chapter 1 by High Lord Bubba

Chapter 1 by High Lord Bubba

How to Start a Munch

Here are the issues in summary, as I see them... I should add that I used to coordinate a monthly munch with 60-80 attendees, in another state. I also currently host a munch with average attendance of 30-35 people in my current location.

Location

If you bounce around, it makes it very challenging for newcomers to find the group... The stability of being at the same location helps people to prioritize coming to your munch. Frankly, I feel that munches that choose to bounce around indicates the organizers are doing it more for their own satisfaction than trying to meet the needs of the attendees. Being disabled, I choose not to go to a location where I have to park and walk very far. Recently, when organizing a new munch, I looked at 32 restaurants to settle on one for the permanent site... The group has been very satisfied with the site selected. It is a sports bar that provides separate checks, ample free parking, and very reasonably priced good food.

Parking

No one ever argues with free parking, readily available. Many people argue with not only having to pay to park, but also then having to walk a distance to get to the actual location. Having to rush off to a parking garage or street meter may also discourage people from standing around and chatting after the event.There is also the safety issue of people having to walk singly to remote parking spaces.

Separate Checks

Again, no one ever argues with separate checks... When checks get combined, either the group leaders have not negotiated strongly enough, or they have chosen a site that does not want the business of the group. There is an opportunity for people on a very limited budget on a particular night, to be forced to pay more than their fair share. Also, someone that ordered an above average priced meal may not pay their fair share. Separate checks just works best. No establishment worth its salt will refuse to provide separate checks for a group of 12 or 20 or more...They want the business! This is not a family group, it is a group of individual payees. Recently, we were at a Denny's, a restaurant that is famous for giving individual checks... Imagine my surprise that we were not given individual checks. I know of at least 2 members that overpaid so that they could bail out early... That is unnecessary, and could cause some people to choose not to come back...

Timing

Every munch has to find the best time for others to attend. Munches have failed simply because the organizers made it difficult to attend. A combination of paid parking, Friday night traffic, and combined checks would be a death knell for many munches. The LA area is so vast that it is impossible to schedule event and munches that never conflict with someone elses event... Recently a woman wrote in to complain that a munch had changed their December munch to a week earlier. Two interesting facts about her complaint emerged... The regularly scheduled night for the munch would have been on Christmas night, and the original complainant had NEVER even attended the munch she was complaining about! Go figure!

Food Quality vs Cost

The organizers have to decide if they are seeking a "quality dining experience" (equals more expensive) versus food prices that won't prevent others from attending. No one wants to be embarrassed by their modest budget, and the attendees are the proper focus, not the rich or even employed organizers...

Dynamic vs Static seating

People seem to prefer the ability to move around and chat with friends rather feeling locked in to a specific seat at one long table. Thus, in a static seating arrangement, one only gets to talk with the person on either side and possibly the person seated across from them.

Newcomers

Newcomers can feel trapped and left out of either type of seating, whether staic or dynamic. The answer to encouraging newcomers to return is to make them more comfortable. The best way to deal with that is to have designated volunteers. That is, sub females can be introduced to other sub females that they can talk with, ask lifestyle questions of, and to make friends with... The same goes for Doms and Switches. Everyone wants to chat with and meet those of a similar identity in the lifestyle to feel more comfortable.

Trade-offs

No one can satisfy everyone. That fact is well known...The organizers just have to find a set of compromises that seems to meet the largest number of attendees needs. The focus should be on the needs of the attendees, rather than the organizers, every time...

This story archived at http://www.thebdsmgarden.com/viewstory.php?sid=332