- Text Size +


For those who are interested in service submission, it can be very difficult to find any sort of learning or teachings on service. It is a great thing that there is no one true source of service information, but at the same time, it can be such a negative.

When I first entered the lifestyle, there were a few books that were seen as dogmatic for living a life of Ds, Ms etc. - Screw The Roses, Send Me The Thorns, SM101, The Topping Book, The Bottoming Book, The Mistress Manual, To Love, to Obey, to Serve: Diary of an Old Guard Slave - to name but a few. Many of these books detailed how to Top, how to bottom, contracts, negotiation, collars, collaring, how to hurt someone in a way that extracted pleasure, and pain, but without harm. Unfortunately, there wasn't some comprehensive manual, resource, or go to on service submission.

So, for those of us who are interested in this genre of submission, it can be both frightening and exciting - frightening in that you can feel a little lost at times, making your way through uncharted territory - it is exciting in that you are carving a path through uncharted territory, sharing knowledge with others with an interest to create a magical experience, a fantastical moment.

There isn't a day that goes by where I am not thinking "How can I improve?", "How can I be better?", and the only way to become better is by research. Research can take two forms - by reading, either online or via printed material; or by sharing knowledge, communicating with other service submissives or Dominants who enjoy service. When it comes to reading, there are many pieces to the service puzzle - there are blogs, articles, journal entries, sometimes manuals. These readings might be specifically on service submission, or perhaps they are on a particular topic, such as the order of serving a meal to a table of leather title holders. It has been my experience that any books, blog entries, articles that deal with domestic maintenance, inside of or outside of the BDSM lifestyle, are a fantastic resource for anyone interested in service submission - for both Dom/mes and submissives alike. For Dominants, it can give them an idea of what might be possible, possibly even what to expect. For submissives, this can give them an idea of what is expected, and what might assist in creating an exquisite fantasy.

Sharing knowledge amongst those interested in the lifestyle is a very important factor in the furthering of skill and the expansion of this genre. I don't know all the answers, and I admit, I have my own self taught guideline of skills and actions. How I serve a drink to a Dominant is not the only way, it is not necessarily the right way, but hopefully it is pleasing enough for a Dominant at the time. I am of course always grateful and an open to a Dominant teaching me his or her desired style of service, should he/she have one, and should it not cross any hard boundaries for me. There are very few things in this lifestyle that upset me more than when individuals hoard knowledge - and why? That part I actually do understand - I understand why someone might hoard knowledge, I just think it's false and unnecessary. There are so few individuals - submissives - actually interested in service, it's not as if a submissive is going to just become part of the masses - if you engage in service, trust me, you will stand apart from submissives who are pain puppies, or pleasure slaves - for example. Even if the same Dominant teaches multiple submissives the way in which they wish to be served, the niceties and grace demonstrated during the service will make the particular actions your own. Therefore, it is not necessary to hide knowledge, no one will usurp your place, share and make our service world even bigger.

So the question becomes really, where to start? Well, I guess my best advice would be to start to read a source on the subject, and see if that knowledge can be brought to life. Practice with a vanilla partner (a willing one hopefully), a Dominant who you are friendly with, another submissive - anyone who might feel comfortable receiving the service and most importantly, giving good feedback. Trust me, if you ask for volunteers so you can test out your massage skills, you will have folks beating a path to your door. Who wouldn't want to take you up on your offer of testing out your chauffeur skills - pulling up right to the door of a shop/restaurant/club, having your door opened, having an umbrella covering your head if it is raining, or quite sunny, not having to worry about parking. You will not have to look very far for volunteers.

After gaining some skill, knowledge, and most importantly, confidence, the next step is to improve on what you know and expand. There's nothing wrong in having a good, core skill set and having a depth of knowledge about that skill set - you don't need to know 'all the things' right off the bat, having a few well polished skills is a great way to set out on path.

Always keep in mind, there is never one way to perform a duty, but the only right way is whatever way the Dominant you are caring for wishes to be served.

Best of luck on your journey.