You can call yourself whatever you want. Just don't expect me to believe you. by Master James
Summary:

Concerning the the self appointed title of submissive.


Categories: Submission Characters: None
Content Notes: D/s-M/s
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 745 Read: 1677 Published: 10/22/2015 Updated: 11/11/2015

1. Chapter 1 by Master James

Chapter 1 by Master James

I'm am going to sacrifice a sacred cow here. So please don't read any further if you are unprepared to handle being displeased, or you think any form of discerning analysis is "judgement".
.
.
.
.

Here we go:

Everyone is free to chose their own labels. It's their right. And in this society and community, no one can take that away from them.

But while using this right, remember that words have predetermined values and definitions. Without this, language has no meaning and ceases to function effectively.

If you are 18 and you label yourself a Master, people are within their right to view this as dubious, and question exactly what you have managed to "master" in your few months of adulthood.

Me pointing this out isn't anything new though. On Fetlife it is entirely socially acceptable to criticise or question the legitimacy of males, specifically those who identify on the <-/ side of the slash. This site is full of celebrated writings telling men why they aren't a real Dom, and what a genuine [insert male label] should be doing. I've even authored a few myself.

Question the purported self appointed labels of a female on the /-> side if the slash however, and you can expect a tsunami of backlash. Kind of the way it's socially acceptable in society at large to criticise smoking as a valid health risk, and to encourage a friend or loved one to cut down or quit. But morbid obesity is a health risk that we are all supposed to awkwardly ignore, and we can't gently encourage a friend or loved one to improve their diet, or increase their physical actively, for fear of being accused of body-shaming.

The most sacred cow of all in this lifestyle, is the self appointed title of submissive. And questioning this label, is undoubtably met with universal condemnation. Especially when the s-type wishes to label themselves as a 'sub', and at then same time label themselves as something completely contradictory to this, like 'brat'.

I can hear the simultaneous intake of air and swivelling of heads as women everywhere prepare to unleash a tirade of indignation.... But before you do, take a moment to hear me out.

submission

noun
1.
the action of accepting or yielding to a superior force or to the will or authority of another person.
synonyms: yielding, capitulation, obedience, agreement, acceptance, consent, accession, compliance

submissive

adjective
ready to conform to the authority or will of others; meekly obedient or passive.
synonyms: obedient, compliant, yielding, accommodating, amenable, manageable, non-resisting, dutiful, humble, servile.
antonyms: domineering, obstinate, intractable

brat

noun - derogatory
a disobedient child, typically one that is badly behaved.
synonyms: badly behaved child, spoilt child;

bratty

adjective
Characteristic of a brat; unruly, disobedient, impolite.

Pretty quickly we can start it see the clash between the inferred behaviour of these two labels.

But for those with poor literacy or comprehension skills. It pretty much breaks down to this:

A Submissive derives pleasure from submitting to and obeying an authority.
and on the exact opposite of this, we have:
A Brat derives pleasure from refusing to submit and disobeying an authority.

Now I acknowledge that not all things are mutually exclusive. It's entirely possible to enjoy giving pain and well as receiving it. So sure you can call yourself a sub-slave-brat-little-switch-primal if you really want...

Just don't expect me to always believe you.

I don't engage with brats in relationships. I've got nothing against brats. I'm just acknowledging their in incompatiblity with me as a Dominant. I just don't engage with brats on a relationship level, for the same reason I don't engage with Dommes on a relationship level. Brats might float lots of boats out there. Just not mine. And that's all totally cool. This isn't a criticism of brats. This is a criticisms of those who want to have their cake and eat it too.

Those who want to don the sub hat and ask for the gift of dominance when it suits them, but want to spit in its face when it comes time to live up to their end of the bargain. And somehow think they can pass it off as being cute.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. And don't tell me that you are someone who enjoys yielding in submission, when the truth is you just want to fight against my dominance.

Yes, I expect a submissive to be willing to submit. How dare I? I'm an asshole, I know!

-The End

This story archived at http://www.thebdsmgarden.com/viewstory.php?sid=599