- Text Size +


A PM from a Follower, abstracted in the interests of privacy ...

"Good morning Wolf. Where might I find your Meta talks information please?"

I talk about it at various places in my pieces, but this made me realize that I've never written about "meta talks" as a standalone topic, and it really does deserve such. So ...

A "meta talk" or "meta conversation" is a discussion about the dynamic rather than within the dynamic.

The thing about D/s relationships is, discussion and communication happens within the framework of the power exchange. This can make foundational discussions and changing the parameters uncomfortable. For the submissive, because she is hesitant to be seen as "challenging" her Dom. For the Dominant, as he may be worried that she is "being a brat" at best, "topping from the bottom" at worst. Hence, meta talks.  The two people should agree at the outset that they will have a "safe place" where they can "step out" of the power dynamic and refine and debug their dynamic in order to keep it healthy and optimal for both of them.

An example might help ...

"I have a new task for you, whore. Every evening at 6PM you are going to go into the bathroom and edge until you are close to cumming, and then stop."

"Understood, Sir. Let's have a meta talk."

"OK, go ahead."

"6PM is when I'm getting the kids fed and walking the dogs. It's total crazy-time for me. I'm thinking if we do it closer to bed time - say, 9PM? - I'll have everyone settled and I can give your task the focus I like to bring to all my tasks."

"Agreed. 9PM it is!"

"Yay!"

See how easy that is? Think of "meta talk" as sort of a "relationship safe word." It calls "time out" on the power exchange for a moment. The submissive must never be afraid to invoke it, and the Dominant must always respect it. Some people say "Let's have a meta talk." Some people say "Let's have a Joe and Sally conversation" (assuming the two people's names are Joe and Sally) or "This is Joe and Sally talking now."  Whatever signal the couple chooses to "invoke a meta talk," it is an absolutely vital tool for enabling those all-important adjustments, compromises, and mid-course corrections that are the life's blood of any health D/s relationship.